HANDS : Housing And Neighborhood Development Service

Housing And Neighborhood Development Service
Housing Application
Current Residents

Resident FAQ

If my income changes, how will my rent be affected?

Your rent may change, depending on how much you earn. The best thing for you to do is to contact your Property Manager, who will be happy to discuss it with you.

When and how do I let HANDS know that I need maintenance?

You should report the need for maintenance as soon as possible.  You should call the maintenance reporting line, at 1-866-284-9890.

How long does it take for a maintenance technician to arrive?

If it is an emergency, the technician will be paged within (15) seconds of your call to the toll-free number, and will call you right away!  If it is not an emergency, the technician will attend to the problem within (48) hours during normal business hours.

May I get a pet?

Pet policies vary by property. Please contact your Property Manager for details.

Am I permitted to have a guest stay with me? If yes, for how long?

Yes, you may have a guest stay with you in your apartment. The HUD regulations say that guests may not stay in your unit for more than (14) days per year, per guest.

If I want to move out of my apartment, what must I do?

You must give your Property Manager a written notice that you want to move. The Manager must receive it (30) days before you move out. The notice will have on it the date that you wrote the notice, your current name and address, when you will be moving out, and your new address, so that your security deposit information may be sent to you.

So, how long does it take to get my Security Deposit back?

If either a full or a partial refund of your Security Deposit is due to you after you move out, a check will be mailed to you, along with a copy of your move-out inspection form and an account settlement statement, within (30) days of the day you moved out. If you are not due a refund, you will still receive a copy of your move-out inspection and account settlement statement.

Can I get a satellite dish?

The answer is yes…but only after signing an agreement that you will comply with the owner’s installation requirements. A letter of approval is required from your property manager before installation can take place.

If I’m not home, can you let the cable, telephone, electric or gas company provider into my apartment for me?

No. If a utility provider needs to come into your home, please schedule them at a time that you will be available.

Do you have assigned parking spots?

No, all parking is on a first-come, first-served basis. There are reserved parking places for those who have the HP placard or HP license plates, however.

Are transfers from one apartment to another permitted?

Transfers are permitted only if medically necessary.

I am considering getting a roommate. What would I do to have someone added to my lease?

Potential roommates need to go through the application process. If the person is approved, rent will be adjusted according to all household income.